Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wait Until It's June

Ahoy. Just posted a new mix on 8tracks. A bunch of oldies, really. Digging into the archives. For the summer.


Tracklist
1. The Magnetic Fields - The Saddest Story Ever Told - I've got this CD (The Wayward Bus) in my car right now, and I've listened to this song about 20 times in the past week. Stephin Merritt didn't sing on his records back then - that's Susan Anway's sweet voice you hear.
2. The Ladybug Transistor - Oceans In The Hall - why aren't there more trumpets in pop music?
3. Wilco - Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again) - hey - do you guys remember when Wilco used to write good songs? you know, like before they were a jam band? RIP Jay Bennett.
4. The Fiery Furnaces - Here Comes The Summer - this song perfectly captures the best part of summer break as a kid: the anticipation. Better than summer itself.
5. Apples In Stereo - Benefits of Lying (With Your Friend) - see comment above. Replace "Wilco" with "Apples in Stereo", and replace "jam" with "ELO cover". And still RIP Jay Bennett.
6. Little Wings - Filled With Wonder - in my mind, Little Wings goes camping every night and plays this song with his friends as they pass a jug around the fire pit.
7. Belle & Sebastian - A Summer Wasting - The Boy With the Arab Strap is my favorite Belle & Sebastian album, and this track sounds especially inviting on the doorstep of summer. If only I could spend it the same way, instead of being stuck in an office all day.
8. The Delgados - Clarinet - one of the most underrated bands of all time.

if you want any of the mp3's, send me a message...

4 comments:

  1. Landmark day for me, Tim, as I'm familiar with more than one band on your mix. In fact, you've included some of my favorites. A Summer Wasting is so, so good and I love anything by The Ladybug Transistor. By-the-way, we need to play catch this summer. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm surprised you didn't object to my Wilco statement, mr fan boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd put You Are My Face up against any song from the Wilco canon. Or, I'd load up the Wilco canon with the awesomeness from A Ghost is Born and blast you in the ear holes with that awesomeness. Either Way. Which is also an awesome Wilco song from Sky Blue Sky. Great album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A.M. is O.K.
    Being There is really good.
    Summerteeth is the pinnacle.
    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is excellent.
    A Ghost Is Born is the beginning of the end.

    Just like Locke, I had to let go. Wilco is dead to me.

    ReplyDelete