Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's Only Love (And You Know That Loves Kills)













Ahoy. The first Sonny Smith song I heard (Too Young To Burn - the opening track on his newest album Tomorrow Is Alright) didn't do much for me. It wasn't until I heard Death Cream (coincidentally the second track on the same album) a couple months later that I fell for the nonchalant vocal delivery, laid back instrumentation, and Sonny's hilarious/perverted/utterly strange tunes that he often disguised as 1950's throwbacks. 

On the strength of that song alone, I ordered the LP (now out of print) but didn't listen to it much over winter - after all, it's apparent upon first listen that this is strictly a spring record. Lately, however, it's been putting up a good fight for rotation at my apartment (the white vinyl does help it's cause), especially the second half of the album. While technically released in 2009, I'm not sure I can resist putting Love Among Social Animals on my 2010 year-end comp. 

Love Among Social Animals


The production is admittedly pretty terrible, but it only enhances the charm of the song for me. The chorus is perfectly realized and executed. Each verse pops out of its preceding chorus with more focus than the last. The pre-chorus sets up the chorus expertly. I love every part of this song - but especially the verse that emerges from the chaotic bridge. Really? No Way!

The best part about discovering a new artist that you connect with is exploring the back catalog for uncut gems. I immediately (and easily, thanks to Rhapsody) acquired Fruitvale, Sonny's 2007 album, and was instantly taken hostage by this track:
 
Good Folks Bad Folks


Maybe it's because of the simple, yet incessant guitar-based propulsion that builds and builds. Maybe it's because of the backing-but-actually-kind-of-lead vocals. Or maybe it's because you can dance to it the same way you can dance to Sleep The Clock Around. All I know is that this song is stuck in my head on a regular basis (usually the "Good folks who live here" part).

Sonny currently has an awesome art installation in San Francisco, so if anyone happens to be in the neighborhood (ahem...Whalen), I urge you to check it out.

Download 3 tracks here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment