Thursday, December 8, 2011

TK's Top 10 Albums of 2011: #4

#4 - Caveman - Coco Beware





















This album came out of nowhere. I saw Caveman (along with the 3rd best band in Milwaukee, Surgeons In Heat) open for The War On Drugs at Club Garibaldi in late August. My first impression was not great - I thought they were some sort of glorified drum circle, out of their element by being thrust on stage. But as soon as I heard the harmonies cut through the audience chatter, I knew that this was a band worth exploring further.

Coco Beware is one of the strongest debut albums I have ever heard. As a whole, it's fluid, eerie, and strangely calming. Caveman recalls Grizzly Bear (without the pretention), Nada Surf (without the over-sentimentality), and Real Estate (without the noodling). Unlike most of the other albums in my Top 10, there aren't really any standout tracks. My Time is probably the closest thing to a "single", but I've honestly only ever listened to the album as a whole, never cherry-picking songs. The opener, A Country's King of Dreams, draws me in whenever I put it on, and I just need to listen until the end.

Not that I put much stake in music critics, but it boggles my mind that AVClub gave this album a C, and Pitchfork didn't even review it, although it's seemingly right up their alley. I guess that makes Coco Beware one of the best-kept secrets of 2011.

 Caveman - A Country's King of Dreams by TheDiscoverialist





No comments:

Post a Comment