Tuesday, December 6, 2011

TK's Top 10 Albums of 2011: #9

#9 - The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?





















Frankly, I didn't expect much. Brit-pop is exactly the kind of genre I usually disregard altogether. Luckily this came out early enough in the year while I was still determined to give most new releases at least a cursory listen, and it also didn't hurt that it received a rave review from a blog I usually agree with. The album quickly became my go-to summer driving soundtrack.

As already noted in many other reviews, parallels exist between What Did You Expect From The Vaccines? and the Strokes' Is This It, mainly in the album pacing and the surprisingly consistent debut-album songwriting. Every song is catchy, and each in its own way. Album highlights include Wetsuit, Under Your Thumb, and If You Wanna, which has probably the catchiest chorus of the year.

 If You Wanna by The Vaccines

No comments:

Post a Comment