Friday, June 18, 2010

June at Dusk: a VBtk 8tracks mix

My brain has been inundated with great music lately, so I made a mix to force some of it out and make room for more. Ideal listening is around 7:30 on a Friday night. In a relaxed environment. Lay down if you really want to.



Tracklist:
1. Pears - Shorts - I started using Twitter this past week, and for those who say it's good for nothing, this song is proof against that claim. Some guy called DavidReyneke started following me, so I followed him back and found a mix he made that led off with an excellent track by Pears. The whole album has the same light, summery vibe, and you can download it (legally) here for free! 
2. Toro Y Moi - Leave Everywhere - my only previous exposure to Toro Y Moi was a sample-centric song called Blessa, which sounds nothing at all like Leave Everywhere. I've got some digging to do...
3. Here We Go Magic - Casual - Luke Temple sure has this sound nailed down. This song twists and turns down all sort of back alleys, but never falls off track. 
4. Wild Nothing - Live In Dreams - this is the lead track on Gemini, and it sets a perfect tone for the record - much like how Caring Is Creepy sets up The Shins' Oh! Inverted World perfectly. If you time things well, this song will come on just as you notice the sun setting. Everyone is talking about this band, and all the praise is warranted.
5. Palpitation - Red White Golden Stripes - this song is from a mix my friend Jack made. The chorus is perfect, especially when it hits the first time. I originally thought that this song was too long (I have a tendency to do that), but I now understand their structure. 
6. Twin Sister - I Want A House - yeah, so this is probably my favorite song right now. The first half is pretty pleasant - nothing too striking - but the second half...I never want it to end. It's refreshing to hear a new band from Brooklyn that doesn't default to a lo-fi sloppy sound. The rhythm section is so good! While Twin Sister is not performing at Pitchfork Fest, they will be playing on the Saturday night at Lincoln Hall. Or, for the MKE peeps, they'll be at Cactus Club on Sunday, July 18. 
7. Minus Story - Hybrid Moments - this isn't a new song (it's from 2005), but it recently came on my iPod via shuffle, and I was reminded how much I love it. It's a Misfits cover, but Minus Story really makes it their own. I get goosebumps when I hear this song. Seriously. And the second half of this song is the exact opposite of the second half of I Want A House. This was no accident.
8. Woods - Mornin' Time - love the drums on this track. Mr. Earle sure does know how to write a melody. 


Hope you enjoy the mix. If you want any of the mp3s, just send me a message or leave a comment. 


VBtk

2 comments:

  1. this pears song goes real nice with the summer breeze blowing through my place... reeeal nice like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/05/2010

    That's a fantastic mix... I did a severe double take when I read that Hybrid Moments was a Misfits cover tune. Strange bedfellows indeed, but perfect bookends. An enigmatic song, especially when decontextualized like this--what is a Hybrid Moment after all?

    Anyway, really love the song descriptions, as always: especially the one for Here We Go Magic.

    ReplyDelete