Monday, January 16, 2012

TK's January 2012 Mix - Keep Your Feet Warm



I recently posted a new mix on 8tracks...some notes:

Keep Your Feet Warm

01. The Walkmen - Don't Forget Me
This is a cover of a Harry Nilsson song, which Neko Case also covered. There is some intense debate amongst the LHF staff as to which is superior. This one gets my vote, if only because they covered the entire Pussy Cats album, which is hilarious and incredible.

02. Liam The Younger - Beneath The Weeping Willow Tree
Liam recorded two albums a few years ago that will soon be available on vinyl (order them!). This song reminds me of really falling for Iron and Wine's The Creek Drank The Cradle back in 2002, mainly because of the slide guitar at the end. Can't believe that album is 10 years old.

03. Bobby Charles - Small Town Talk
I've been in an early 70's mood lately here at LHF HQ. Smooth and calm, keeps me focused. I have found tightsweater's mixes on 8tracks (especially from The Crate series) to be a great resource in my quest to unearth a lot of gems that had previously eluded me (Bobby Fay, Shuggie Otis, etc).

04. Guided By Voices - Tell Me
As most of you will hopefully figure out, this is a very early version of what eventually became Tractor Rape Chain (most definitely in my Top 10 songs of all time) off the album Bee Thousand. I wish this REM-inspired era of GBV lasted longer; you don't get to hear Bob sing lines like "tell me how you feel about me" enough these days.

05. The Double - Soul Cougar
I listened to this CD the other day. I bought it on my first trip to NYC in 2004 (at Other Music, of course), and listened to it while walking around the city on my discman, which is kind of crazy to think about. It makes me glad that I have kept my CD collection in tact (and organized chronologically, based on release date), even though I pretty much stopped buying CDs in 2009.

06. Django Django - Default
This is a GM find. Part of a super secret collab mix constructed on 12.31.11. Don't tell anyone.

07. Mikal Cronin - Apathy
LHF likes to believe we don't overlook any great albums, but we whiffed on Mikal Cronin's s/t release last year. Thankfully Seizure Chicken didn't make the same mistake, naming his album #5 on their year-end list, and it's been on steady rotation for the past 2 weeks. Had I heard it in time, this one probably would've cracked my Top 10.

08. Hospital Ships - Dani, Love Of Mine (live)
Some day I'll probably shut up about this band, but they just released some live recordings from France that you should check out here. Included in the set is this alternative version of Reprise, a slowed-down and tender take that also appears on the vinyl. Also, all of the proceeds from the purchase of these live recordings go towards helping a sick cat get surgery. For real.

January on.


No comments:

Post a Comment