Monday, January 23, 2012

Ceiling Fan In My Spoon: A Lemonheads Concert Review

The first concert I ever attended was The Lemonheads at Summerfest back in 1994. Even though they didn't go on until 10PM, I recall arriving at the stage around 3PM with my friend Silas to stake out a good location, and then suffering through whatever crap bands played before them. I also recall spending all $20 I brought on a Come On Feel The Lemonheads concert t-shirt and having to beg for spare change from strangers in order to catch the bus back to the Park 'n Ride after the show. Ah, youth.

So when it was announced back in November that The Lemonheads would be coming to Turner Hall to play their classic album It's a Shame About Ray, I secured tickets immediately. I had already seen them perform the album at SXSW in 2008 (fwd to about 1:00), but given that IaSAR is one of my Top 10 Albums Of All-Time, I will never turn down a chance to see it performed.

Evan Dando opened the set with some solo acoustic guitar numbers, including Being Around - a personal fav of mine. He was wearing the same striped shirt everyone always pictures in him and appears to be aging as much as Richard Alpert. After six or so songs, the rest of band came out and launched into Rockin' Stroll, with Evan now on electric guitar. Near the end of the song his amp blew, so he followed Rockin' Stroll with an impromptu acoustic number while it was being repaired. After a second attempt to play his electric (to no avail), he told the crowd that this would be a "different kind of show" and proceeded to play Confetti and It's a Shame About Ray on his acoustic, which was actually really nice.

His electric guitar returned for Rudderless, which set off a round of cheers from the audience. They tore through the rest of the album, and I pointed and shouted when appropriate (and sometimes when not appropriate). He switched back to his acoustic for Frank Mills, which was my second-favorite Turner Hall sing-along ever (first place belonging to TMBG's Dead sing-along at my wedding). There was no Mrs. Robinson, much to the chagrin of the majority of the crowd, but we were treated to some other great songs from Come On Feel The Lemonheads (Great Big No, Big Gay Heart, I'll Do It Anyway), which, in my mind, is just as great of an album as Ray.

All-in-all, it was a solid show from an iconic band. And here's some fan footage from the show:


1 comment: