Tuesday, June 28, 2011

First Half Albums of 2011

6 months has already pass in 2011. A good time to take stock and see where we are:

12 Favorite Albums (in somewhat decreasing order; fine, I'll # them...)
12. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo - another solid offering
11. Radiohead - The King of Limbs - their best since Amnesiac
10. Yuck - Yuck - the great rockers on this one make up for the occasional dud
9. Mars Classroom - New Theory of Everything - the best of the 4 Pollard releases (so far)
8. Tim Cohen - Magic Trick - lead singer of Fresh and Onlys delivers retro-tinged pop ditties
7. Motel Beds - Sunfried Dreams - such a fun, upbeat, out-of-nowhere record all the way through
6. The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World - one of the most unique and fascinating listens of the year
5. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues - love it already and only going to get better
4. Woods - Sun and Shade - contains some of their best songs; embracing the two extended jams is key
3. The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From The Vaccines? - I am as surprised as anybody that I love this record, but it just feels so easy and carefree
2. Hospital Ships - Lonely Twin - had a revelation today; so much going on with this record, I feel like I've only scraped the surface
1. Destroyer - Kaputt - still the best thing I've heard all year

10 Biggest Disappointments (disappointing in the sense that I really like(d) these bands but wasn't inspired to listen to them their albums more than a couple times each - if that)
10. James Blake - just can't get into it yet, not sure I'll ever be able to
9.  Papercuts - a couple really good tracks, but dull as a whole
8. Generationals - first song is so killer, the rest is just a let-down
7. Bill Callahan - I'll try again in the fall
6. Sonny Smith - he's gone too 50's for my taste
5. The Decemberists - almost time to stop paying attention to this band, save a couple songs here and there
4. Iron and Wine - don't even remember how this one sounded
3. Dodos - steady decline since their first album (as Dodo Bird)
2. Mountain Goats - only listened to it once, so many better MG albums to listen to
1. Smith Westerns - that one song had a good outro, but that's about it; what happened to these guys?

17 Albums That Didn't Hook Me Immediately But Probably Warrant More Listens Before Passing Judgment (random order)
* Bon Iver
* The Antlers
* Panda Bear
* Cass McCombs
* Gang Gang Dance
* Tune-Yards (I refuse to type it the stupid way)
* WU LYF
* Peter, Bjorn, and John
* TV On The Radio
* The Wooden Birds
* Peaking Lights
* Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr
* Black Lips
* Toro y Moi
* Chad Vangaalen
* Okkervil River
* Times New Viking

What do you think?

- tk



1 comment:

  1. The Bill Callahan album will definitely be in my Topppp 3 of the year. So good. You should also check out his album A river aint too much to love, particularly the song Say Valley Maker. A masterpiece.

    Listened to WU LYF today and I was somewhat into it.

    New Marissa Nadler is great, but I am a big fan of hers.

    My top five would look something like this (no order)
    Bill callahan
    Wye Oak
    Chad Vangaalen
    Destroyer
    Kurt Vile

    Not sure I have heard my number one yet. Any of the above could be ejected from this list at a moments notice.

    Each one of your disappointments are completely forgettable albums.

    Here is my LIKE list:
    Cass
    Wild beasts
    Marissa Nadler
    Antlers
    some others i cant think of right now

    ReplyDelete