Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oh Look, It's September

Ahoy there.

Haven't posted anything in a long while. This changes. Now.

I'll cut to the chase, here are some tunes I've been really digging lately:

The Goodnight Loving - Doesn't Shake Me


These guys share some common members with Jaill, who are probably the most "famous" Milwaukee indie band at the moment. Not sure why Sub Pop didn't come after The Goodnight Loving instead, because this sounds like the band ready for the national stage. Melodies, jangle, hooks - they've got it all. 

Cosmetics - Sleepwalking


This band lives in your dreams. If you are lucky.

Cosmos - Nude Metropolis


This song's from last year, but I only recently heard it for the first time (as part of my ongoing Robert Pollard obsession). There is something about the drum part that I really get a kick out of - like it's out-of-step with the piano in the best possible way. As usual, Bob takes a pretty basic chord progression and comes up with like 10 different melodies to sing over it - complete with the big pay-off at the end. dum dum dum.  

In other news...

* I still haven't made it through the new Arcade Fire (yawn), but apparently I'm not the only one who thought that one of the songs sounded just like something else (only Time to Pretend jumped out at me at first, but the rest make sense too)

* Tobin Sprout's The Bluebirds of Happiness Tried to Land on my Shoulder is only sounding better and better as the weather cools down.

* Speaking of dudes in their 50's, my top 2 albums from this year might very well end up being the newest offerings from Gord Downie & Robyn Hitchcock...take that, youngsters. 

Talk to you hopefully before October.

- tk

4 comments:

  1. it won't happen again. swear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I get you to do a couple things?

    1. Listen to EVERYTHING Blackbird Blackbird has released this year. Been hooked on it lately.

    2. Give the Andrew Cedermark album that comes out Tuesday a chance. It is excellent.

    3. O
    Might need a ride from a-port in a couple Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free Energy is currently (as of this writing) opening for Titus andronicus. These guys suck. They are jumping around on stage to their tween pop songs. Just terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I tend to ignore bands who have names like Blackbird Blackbird or Hotel Hotel or Blank Blank, etc. The main exception being Tap Tap, of course, 'cause that album from 2006 rules. But I'll check 'em for you, Mike, because I like you.

    2. Will do. For sure.

    3. It would be my honor.

    4. I have mixed feelings about Free Energy. They appeal to the pop fan in me.

    ReplyDelete